Current Job Openings
The Apalachicola Bay System Initiative (ABSI) at the Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) seeks an enthusiastic technician with strong interests in oyster reef ecology to manage and lead field operations in the Apalachicola Bay and neighboring environs. This position will contribute to a long-term research project examining the health, and mapping a trajectory for recovery of the Apalachicola Bay ecosystem, with emphasis on oyster reefs. Data collection is mostly field-based and involves (1) field sampling to monitor water quality, oyster recruitment, growth and survival and community structure of reef-associated fauna; (2) field data download and management; (3) instrument deployment for in situ water quality monitoring of the research area; (4) assisting all ABSI faculty with research as needed, among other duties.
- Applicant must be physically capable of conducting rigorous field work and have the flexibility to work long hours when needed.
- Working knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Office.
- Experienced in operation (driving, trailering, GPS navigation) of vessels up to 28ft
- B.S. (M.S.) preferred in marine science or closely related field. Strong field skills and previous practical experience required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Working knowledge of image analysis software, Geographic Information Systems and database construction and maintenance.
- SCUBA diving certification
- Experience with maintenance and operation of in situ data loggers.
- Familiarity with the Florida Panhandle nearshore area.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior,owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
To Apply: Visit https://jobs.fsu.edu. Job ID#7234. Job Opening closes midnight May6, 2019.
Alternate Boat Captain (OPS)
The Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) seeks boat captains interested in part time (as needed) work as a captain/first mate onboard the RV APALACHEE, a 65-ft (80 ton), twin engine research vessel. The position will require abilities for precise vessel maneuvering and extensive nighttime work, and deployment of a variety of oceanographic equipment and fishing gears. Other duties include assisting the first captain in vessel maintenance and accommodating research equipment loading, hookup and deployment. Knowledge of hydraulic systems strongly desired. Most of the boat operations will take place in coastal and offshore waters from Florida to Louisiana, from shallow water depths to 3000 m. Cruises typically range from one to seven days in length, though longer cruises (with port-days) are possible. The position reports to the Marine Operations Manager.
We seek an individual who can work well in a dynamic environment with scientists as well as college students from many different disciplines, including marine biology, fisheries ecology and oceanography.
- Must have at least a 100-ton captain's license and meet all US Coast Guard standards for time at sea and drug testing
- High school diploma/equivalent and at least four years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of field equipment use and maintenance
- Proficient in computer applications, including Excel and Word or equivalent software
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
To apply, visit http://hr.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=ers/ers_home
Tobacco Free Campus - Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: