Current Job Openings
About All Advertised Staff Positions
All staff positions listed below are for the Florida State University Coastal & Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) in St. Teresa, FL, located about 45 miles southwest of the main FSU campus in Tallahassee. Unless otherwise stated in the position, employees are expected to work Monday - Friday from 8 AM until 5 PM. All positions are listed on jobs.fsu.edu and can be found by searching for location (St. Teresa) or by the Job ID (position) number.
Note that faculty positions have guidance in the ads for how to apply.
Tobacco Free Campus - Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Veteran's Preference - Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, will receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. For information on who may be eligible for Veterans' Preference, go to http://hr.fsu.edu/?page=ers/application/application_veterans_preference, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034. IMPORTANT: In order to claim Veterans' Preference, applicants must upload a DD-214 (and other documentation, as applicable) with their online application prior to the closing date of the job opening.
Florida State University is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
To Apply, visit jobs.fsu.edu - Job ID (position) 45081. This is an open call for an alternate boat captain with no deadline for applying.
The Florida State University Coastal & Marine Laboratory seeks a highly motivated and organized individual for a part-time alternate research vessel captain/first mate for the Research Vessel Apalachee. The R/V Apalachee is a 65-ft (80 ton), twin engine research vessel. The position will require abilities for precise vessel maneuvering and extensive daytime and nighttime work, deployment of a variety of oceanographic equipment, and fishing gears. Other duties include assisting the Captain in the vessel maintenance and accommodating research equipment loading, hookup, and deployment. Most of the vessel operation will take place in coastal & offshore waters from Florida to Louisiana, from shallow water to depths of 300 meters. Cruises typically range from 1-7 days in length, though longer cruises (with port days) are possible.
- U.S. Coast Guard Near Coastal Master Captain's or near coastal Mates License, 100 Tons or greater, in good standing and meet all US Coast Guard standards for time at sea and drug testing
- High school diploma/equivalent and at least four years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of field equipment use and maintenance
- Proficient in computer applications, including Excel and Word or equivalent software
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have strong critical thinking and communication skills
- Must be able to work well in a dynamic environment with scientists and students from many different disciplines, including marine biology, fisheries ecology and oceanography