Current Job Openings
- Alternate Boat Captain (OPS – Part Time, As Needed) _______________________________________________________
The Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) seeks a highly motivated and organized individual for a part time or full-time alternate boat captain/first mate position onboard the RV APALACHEE, a 65-ft (80 ton), twin engine research vessel. The position will require abilities for precise vessel maneuvering and extensive nighttime work, and deployment of a variety of oceanographic equipment and fishing gears. Other duties include assisting the first captain in vessel maintenance and accommodating research equipment loading, hookup and deployment. Knowledge of hydraulic systems strongly desired. Most of the boat operations will take place in coastal and offshore waters from Florida to Louisiana, from shallow water depths to 3000 m. Cruises typically range from one to seven days in length, though longer cruises (with port-days) are possible. The position reports to the Marine Operations Manager.
We seek an individual who can work well in a dynamic environment with scientists as well as college students from many different disciplines, including marine biology, fisheries ecology and oceanography.
- Must have at least a 100-ton captain's license and meet all US Coast Guard standards for time at sea and drug testing
- High school diploma/equivalent and at least four years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of field equipment use and maintenance
- Proficient in computer applications, including Excel and Word or equivalent software
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
To apply, visit http://hr.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=ers/ers_home
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: