Current Job Openings
- Administrative Assistant (Full Time with benefits) - CLOSES October 12th
- Alternate Boat Captain (OPS – Part Time, As Needed) _______________________________________________________
Administrative Assistant (40 hr/week; full benefits)
This position provides administrative support to the Director and the Business Manager; assists with business and HR operations, and manages grant proposal submissions. Administrative support for the Director includes: assistance with daily calendar and travel schedule, organizing
meetings, taking meeting minutes, and handling confidential assignments.
Administrative support for the faculty and research staff includes: review of grant proposals for compliance with funding agency and FSU technical requirements, acting as a liaison with FSU Sponsored Research staff responsible for proposal submission to agencies and facilitating effort certification reports for exempt (3 times per year) and non-exempt employees (monthly).
General office support includes: ordering office supplies, distributing daily mail and shipping FedEx packages, conducting P-card coding and reconciliation; handling purchasing/disbursements for Foundation Account, serving as back-up for Travel, reservations; posting jobs and ensuring compliance with HR rules and guidelines while facilitating the screening, interviewing, and hiring process.
- High School diploma or equivalency and two years' experience, or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to two years is required.
- Must be highly detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize and organize assignments effectively and meeting project deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel (or comparable software).
- Experience working in an office environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, math skills, and knowledge of collection and/or cash handling procedures.
- Ability to perform assignments with minimal supervision.
Resume must be attached at time of application.
Preferred -Experience with University OMNI system.
Anticipated Salary Range - Minimum of $23,000 - negotiable commensurate with education and experience.
Pay Plan - This is a USPS (University Support Personnel System)
Schedule - Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Criminal Background Check - This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-0P-C-7-811 .
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in this position, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Tobacco Free Campus - Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at:
Alternate Boat Captain (OPS)
The Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) seeks a highly motivated and organized individual for a part time alternate boat captain/first mate position onboard the RV APALACHEE, a 65-ft (80 ton), twin engine research vessel. The position will require abilities for precise vessel maneuvering and extensive nighttime work, and deployment of a variety of oceanographic equipment and fishing gears. Other duties include assisting the first captain in vessel maintenance and accommodating research equipment loading, hookup and deployment. Knowledge of hydraulic systems strongly desired. Most of the boat operations will take place in coastal and offshore waters from Florida to Louisiana, from shallow water depths to 3000 m. Cruises typically range from one to seven days in length, though longer cruises (with port-days) are possible. The position reports to the Marine Operations Manager.
We seek an individual who can work well in a dynamic environment with scientists as well as college students from many different disciplines, including marine biology, fisheries ecology and oceanography.
- Must have at least a 100-ton captain's license and meet all US Coast Guard standards for time at sea and drug testing
- High school diploma/equivalent and at least four years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of field equipment use and maintenance
- Proficient in computer applications, including Excel and Word or equivalent software
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
To apply, visit http://hr.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=ers/ers_home