The Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) seeks a highly motivated and organized individual for a part time or full-time alternate boat captain/first mate position onboard the RV APALACHEE, a 65-ft (80 ton), twin engine research vessel. The position will require abilities for precise vessel maneuvering and extensive nighttime work, and deployment of a variety of oceanographic equipment and fishing gears. Other duties include assisting the first captain in vessel maintenance and accommodating research equipment loading, hookup and deployment. Knowledge of hydraulic systems strongly desired. Most of the boat operations will take place in coastal and offshore waters from Florida to Louisiana, from shallow water depths to 3000 m. Cruises typically range from one to seven days in length, though longer cruises (with port-days) are possible. The position reports to the Marine Operations Manager.
We seek an individual who can work well in a dynamic environment with scientists as well as college students from many different disciplines, including marine biology, fisheries ecology and oceanography.
- Must have at least a 100-ton captain's license and meet all US Coast Guard standards for time at sea and drug testing
- High school diploma/equivalent and at least four years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of field equipment use and maintenance
- Proficient in computer applications, including Excel and Word or equivalent software
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
To apply, visit https://jobs.fsu.edu
The FSUCML seeks a full- or part-time Outreach and Social Media Coordinator who will develop new communication and marketing strategies with the goal of attracting local, regional, and national attention to the research, education, and outreach conducted at the laboratory. We seek an outgoing individual who has innate scientific curiosity, loads of imagination, strong writing skills and initiative, and enjoys meeting and talking with people. The successful candidate should be proficient in the use of social media and be able to conduct and record interviews with scientists.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Communication, Marketing, or relevant sciences (e.g., biology, oceanography)
- Experience or training in social media, public relations, marketing, or communication design
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience developing a variety of marketing and promotional materials and managing social media accounts
- Computer skills including the use of PC-based computer hardware and software programs
- Basic experience with graphic design software, videography, and photography
- Develop and maintain all social media accounts and stories for web pages, ensuring that news and events regularly appear on the FSUCML website, Facebook, and Twitter, with relevant material on the FSU Calendar
- Work with University Communications to develop all marketing and promotional materials including: advertising, print materials, press releases, videos
- Compile newsletter content quarterly with Director, faculty, and staff
- Manage all outreach activities including special events, Lecture Series, workshops, displays, staffing outreach events and outreach programs
- Collaborate with FSU faculty, staff, University communications, other university stakeholders and partners (e.g., UCOMPASS, FWC) to determine marketing goals and opportunities
- Respond to media inquiries and student interview requests
- Maintains FSUCML heritage protocol records - a campus-wide initiative to document and preserve the history of Florida State University, with particular emphasis on documenting the student experience through collecting items and artifacts that tell the stories of the many students who have attended the university
Salary: $26,000 - $31,200
To apply, please submit your application electronically (PDF files preferred, in a single file that contains a cover letter, resume, a sample of your writing skills, and the names and email addresses of three references) to Lara Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
FSU is an AA/EEO employer. Female and minority candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
The FSU Coastal & Marine Laboratory is located in St. Teresa, Florida, about 45 miles southwest of the FSU main campus.