Coastal Trainer - Job ID #50620
The FSU Coastal and Marine Lab is seeking a Coastal Trainer to provide up-to-date scientific information and skill building opportunities for collaborative networks of decision makers and professionals whose work and decisions have impacts on coastal resources in NW Florida, specifically the Apalachicola Watershed. The goal of CTP section is to transfer science conducted at ANERR, NOAA and the Office of Resilience and Coastal Protection (FLDEP) to stakeholders enabling them to make and implement decisions that protect the environment. Stakeholders served by CTP include local, state and federal government officials, elected officials, planners, coastal managers, seafood industry, private industry, watershed groups, water management districts, residents and nonprofit organizations. This position will be considered an employee of FSU on detail to DEP pursuant to part II of chapter 112, Florida Statutes.
This position is located in Eastpoint, Florida.
Works directly with the CTP Coordinator to provide up-to-date scientific information and skill building opportunities for collaborative networks of decision makers and professionals; transfers science conducted at ANERR, NOAA and RCP to stakeholders; designs, plans, and coordinates training programs for target audiences; conducts follow-up research.
Plans, organizes and coordinates, locally and regionally, workshops and meetings and works with partners to identify needs; provides technical assistance service, training events and facilitation services. Coordinates outreach programs; finds opportunities to integrate FSU research/initiative into the Coastal Training program.
Operates vehicle/vessels as needed and assists with efforts to plan, prepare and respond to extreme weather and impacts to ANERR and regional facilities.
High school diploma/equivalent and six years of experience; or post-high school education and experience equal to six years.
- Ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences both verbally and in writing; public speaking skills and level of comfort in front of various professional audiences.
- Ability to efficiently plan, organize and coordinate workshops and meetings.
- Positive attitude and good customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and co-workers and to work with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative with projects.
- Knowledge of estuarine ecology and the dynamics of how estuaries function.
- Knowledge and understanding of Florida or Gulf of Mexico ecosystems, estuarine ecology, and relevant environmental issues.
- Ability to move/lift up to 25 lbs. carrying and lifting field equipment, displays for special events and outreach activities.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, for special events.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel or comparable software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access.
- Training in operating vessels
How To Apply – Job ID # 50620
If qualified and interested apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.