Hatchery Manager - Job ID #53589 (USPS)
The Florida State University Coastal & Marine Laboratory (FSUCML) is seeking a hatchery manager. The FSUCML is located 40 miles south of Tallahassee on the unspoiled "Forgotten Coast" of the Florida Panhandle. Research at the FSUCML focuses on estuarine and marine ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico. Scientists at the lab direct externally funded projects addressing critical issues for the health and conservation of coastal and marine habitats.
The successful candidate for this position will be involved in the establishment and management of a research hatchery, which supports the research and restoration objectives of the Apalachicola Bay System Initiative (ABSI, https://marinelab.fsu.edu/the-apalachicola-bay-system-initiative/). The hatchery is primarily focused on producing larvae and juveniles of the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica), but additional shellfish species are sometimes cultured for other research projects. Salary: $36,250 – 81,563. This position requires a criminal history background check and a confidentiality statement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Generate and/or refine protocols for microalgal culture and for conditioning, spawning, larval culture and juvenile production for oysters, and other species as needed.
- Establish and maintain cultures of marine micro-algae for feeding multiple species and stages of shellfish
- Condition and spawn oysters, fertilize gametes and maintain batches of larvae to settlement
- Set juveniles on a range of substrate types (primarily natural shell) and generate seed as needed for research and restoration
- Supervise maintenance of seed and spat on shell on research leases
- Advise and assist scientists and graduate students with small scale culture of research species.
- Supervise full-time hatchery technicians and part time graduate research assistants
- Train hatchery interns from the local area to increase workforce capacity in aquaculture
- Participate in outreach activities (such as hatchery tours) and communicate with general public
- Ensure hatchery facilities are clean, organized, and well-maintained
- Maintain and organize detailed records (in paper and digital format) of all hatchery operations, hatchery-related purchases and maintenance orders
- Oversee safety in the hatchery environment and respond to system alarms, including outside regular business hours
Bachelor's degree or a combination of post-high school education and experience equal to four years.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Meet physical requirements as determined by position, including lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously. Utilize problem-solving skills.
- To teach and supervise technicians and interns with a range of education and experience
- Utilize blueprints and specifications
- To be flexible with a strong work ethic, flexibility, and professional manners.
Have knowledge of:
- Fundamental understanding of recirculating and flow-through systems, algal culture, and shellfish production
- Ability to identify safety hazards and necessary safety precautions to establish a safe work environment
- Interpret and apply related university policies, procedures, principles, and practices
- Applicable computer allocations and basic computer functions
- Concepts, principles, and practices of data collection (both electronically and on paper)
An ideal candidate for this position would have experience in intensive marine aquaculture, including at least 2 years of experience in shellfish hatchery management. Experience supervising technical staff and evidence of successful team leadership in a production hatchery
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Soft Money Funded Position
This University Support Personnel System (USPS) position is time-limited based on soft money funding, with renewal contingent upon available funds and the needs of the University.
The schedule is Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; full-time position. Flexibility to work outside of normal hours, if necessary.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply - Job ID #53589
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. Veterans' Preference applies to University Support Personnel System (USPS) positions only.
IMPORTANT: To claim Veterans' Preference, select “yes” to the question on the application questionnaire and upload a DD-214 (or equivalent), the Veterans' Preference Certification form, and other documentation if applicable with your online application before midnight of the position closing date.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
FSU is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community that is welcoming to all faculty, staff, and students. As such, we strongly encourage applications from members of groups historically underrepresented in science, as well as those who have a demonstrated commitment to fostering and promoting the values of diversity and inclusion.