FSUCML Staff Responsibilities
The following list is intended as a guide to who is responsible for different aspects of the FSU Coastal & Marine Lab’s operation. If you need to report a problem with a boat, facility, piece of gear, or anything of that nature, we ask that you fill out a Work Request Form. For assistance related to research space and conducting research at the lab, contact Dr. Dean Grubbs, Associate Director of Research.
We ask that you be courteous to your colleagues by letting staff finish whatever job they have in progress and leave scheduling to the Facilities Director.
Contact the Business Manager if you have questions about administrative duties not answered by this memo.
EMERGENCY CONTACTS: The Maintenance staff share on call (after hours) duties. The on-call contact number is 850 591 0224. If you can’t reach anyone at this number, please contact either the Director of the Facilities Director.
Felicia Coleman, Director email@example.com
- Research direction, initiatives
- Faculty & Administration Oversight Development, Outreach, Education Initiatives
- Liaison to upper administration, community at large
- Hiring, budget, and construction decisions
Dean Grubbs, Associate Director for Research firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research space decisions for FSUCML & visiting scientists (laboratories, greenhouse space, tanks, storage)
- Oversight for all RV/Apalachee research questions
Durene Gilbert, Administrative Assistant email@example.com
- HR: Payroll/timesheets
- Responsible for facilities and marine ops reservations, invoicing
- Outreach: Docent coordinator, organizes large group visits, assists with social media, lectures, & special events, liaisons with main campus for FSUCML related events
- Travel: Authorizations, receives T-card receipts for processing Gives tours in the absence of a Docent
Mary Lewis, Administrative Assistant
- HR: Prepares new appointments, assists with reappointments, prepares Faculty AOR entry & FACET reporting
- Plans meetings, responsible for minutes of all FSUCML Boards and Committees, supports the Director.
- Purchasing: Procurement for all supplies, P-card proxy, receives P-card receipts for weekly and monthly processing, processes FedEx shipping
Maddie Mahood, ABSI Outreach & Education Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outreach: Works with FSU Communications and scientists to promote ABSI research to the public through web-based and in-person fora
- Organizes venues, notices, signage, printed media for meetings and public events
- Organizes educational events for K-12 students
Maranda Marxsen, Office Manager email@example.com
- FSUCML HR Representative: Prepares personnel re-appointments, addresses workers comp, personnel issues
- Manages all FSUCML budgets: Operations, FSU Foundation, sponsored projects
- Proposals: Conducts budget checks on all proposed budgets & cost-sharing for faculty and others
Gina Wells, ABSI Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- Approves for ABSI personnel: Travel, purchasing, and HR actions.
- Manages all ABSI budgets
FACILITIES & MARINE OPS
Travis Mohrman, Assistant Director Facilities email@example.com
- Facilities management including all construction details and permitting, staff supervision of facilities staff and Marine Operations lead.
- Prioritizes all Work Order Forms
- Carries out facilities priorities for FSUCML and visiting researchers (the latter with Associate Research Director)
- Liaison to campus facilities and maintenance, IT
Lance Crum, Marine Operations Technician firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assists in repair and maintenance of all FSUCML boats
- Assists in repair of nets and other field gear.
- Available for launching & operating campus-based boats for users.
Tray Crump, Custodial Worker email@example.com
- Housekeeping, janitorial services, deep-cleaning, schedules recycling, laundry
Mark Daniels, Mechanical Trades Technician firstname.lastname@example.org
- General maintenance & repair: plumbing for freshwater & seawater systems, vehicles (including fueling & logs).
- Responsible for general inventory
- Maintains water quality and rain databases. On-call personnel
Matt Edwards, Marine Operations Lead email@example.com
- Manages all marine operations
- Responsible for maintenance, scheduling, & operation of R/V Apalachee, small boats, & trailers
- Serves as boating safety officer
- Manages boat operator training and check-out.
- Supervises marine operations technician
Dan Overlin, General Trades Technician firstname.lastname@example.org
- General maintenance, construction: design, renovation, finish carpentry (all buildings), electrical maintenance
Mike Repchak, IT Technical Support Analyst email@example.com
- Maintains computers, wireless, server, networking systems
- Advises on computer and peripheral purchases & sets up new hardware
Dennis Tinsley, Mechanical Trades Technician firstname.lastname@example.org
- General maintenance & repair: HVAC, telephones, freshwater system, septic system, generator, fire alarms
- Environmental Health & Safety: Oversight of general safety, hazardous waste disposal; initiates insurance coverage & claims
- Key Bank Manager: Signs/placards
- Purchasing: Initiates POs except office supplies
- Supplies & Equipment: Inventory custodian, surplus
MARINE RESEARCH SUPPORT
Christopher Matechik, ABSI Field Technician email@example.com
- Works with ABSI scientists and staff to facilitate research objectives in the field
- Responsible for leading field operations related to ABSI, including oversight of other technicians and volunteers.
Cullen Morris, Marine Technician firstname.lastname@example.org
- Works with faculty & staff to facilitate research objectives in both the field & lab
- Manages, maintains, & assists in acquisition of all research equipment (lab and field), and trains new users
- Assures research compliance with relevant university, state, and federal permits (e.g., ACUC, FWC, NOAA, EH&S) for all FSUCML and visiting researchers; notifies FSUCML researchers of training requirements.
- Volunteer Coordinator & Instructor for Community Engagement programs
Christopher Peters- Diving Safety Officer email@example.com
- Manages all aspects of the FSU Diving Program, serves as dive safety officer
- Oversight of all dive-related field operations to ensure that scientific objectives are met while diving safely.
- Training: Teaches Introduction to Scientific Diving & other supporting workshops to ensure that all FSU divers are properly trained in diving techniques & safety.
- Develops budgets and strategic plans for the Dive Program